Helpful Approaches to Avoid Tooth Decay
Being "in the know" is important in the battle of keeping dental caries, gum disease, and other complications at bay. This is why our team at Made Ya Smile Sugar Land, TX aims to teach prevention. In the event that these big issues influence your dental wellness, they’re often harder to treat, costly, and time consuming. Excellent oral hygiene is the main line of defense for making sure that your mouth remains in good shape. Our Sugar Land, TX staff is excited to provide you with some excellent tips to help make sure your teeth are clean, reliable, and radiant for many years.
- Go to your dentist regularly. Professional oral cleanings and examinations are vital when it comes to not just cleaning your teeth thoroughly but also assessing the condition of your mouth. Your dental wellness depends on being aware of what’s going on in your mouth. During your appointment, your enamel will be brushed and polished. Following this, your dental professional will perform a detailed examination of your mouth to identify any concerns. The quicker the oral issues are diagnosed, the quicker your treatment can kick off.
- Be proactive. As soon as you experience the signs of decay, it’s essential to see the dentist for an evaluation. Typically, the first indication of tooth decay is long-lasting dental sensitivity. You might experience a stinging pain if you eat or drink something cold or hot. When tooth decay progresses, you might experience migraines, toothaches, dental yellowing, or visible holes.
- Ask about tooth sealants. Dental sealants are an excellent option when it comes to warding off decay. Sealants are a pliable, plastic material that is placed on the tops of the backmost teeth, or the molars and premolars. Dental sealants may help to reduce the individual's susceptibility to cavities in these regions since the crevices on top of your back teeth can entrap bad bacteria and cause the teeth to be more prone to tooth decay.
- Use mouthwash often. Mouthwash is necessary as an added defense against tooth decay. Once you have brushed your teeth, follow up with mouthwash to help further diminish harmful bacteria and tartar.
- Inform your kids. Children like to mimic their parents. In many cases, parents are the ones to teach children how to clean their teeth, which is why it’s crucial to be a proper example. Scheduling biannual cleanings is another approach to teach children the importance of keeping up with great oral practices.
- Use sugar-free gum. A lot of patients aren't aware that sugar-free gum could help defend against tooth decay. Gum-chewing encourages extra saliva production, which is important because saliva is the agent in charge of both offsetting and banishing the acid from things we eat that could eventually wear away your teeth’s outer layer, resulting in decay.
- Get fluoride treatments for prevention. Several dentists recommend professional fluoride treatments for children starting at six up to the time they’re in their late teens. However, if an adult is prone to ending up with cavities, a fluoride treatment may be incredibly advantageous to their oral wellness. Our general dentists in Sugar Land, TX provide fluoride treatments and may suggest a prescription fluoride-based toothpaste, tablets, and mouthwash to use in between cleanings.
- Flossing your teeth is important. Brushing alone isn’t sufficient in making sure cavities are kept at bay. Flossing is a critical step that several patients neglect. Flossing is able to target areas that brushes can’t, as well as helps to get rid of objects lodged between the teeth. This easy practice is great at helping to diminish the risk of tooth decay.
- Brush your teeth every day. Although this might come across as obvious, brushing your teeth two times daily with fluoridated toothpaste is a good approach to deter tooth decay. You could try singing a song in your head as you scrub your teeth for no less than 120 seconds.
- Eat and drink tooth-healthy items. The germs that lead to decay are attracted to the sugar in food and drinks. Sugary foods lay the groundwork for cavities to develop. It's necessary to pay attention to what you and your children are eating and drinking. After you eat or drink food or a beverage that has a significant amount of sugar, it's advised to brush your teeth right away.
Find out about the correct way to clean your teeth
When it’s time to set up twice-yearly oral cleanings and exams for you and your family, then please get in touch with our general care dentistry practice in Sugar Land, TX for your visit. These necessary and preventive sessions will help to keep decay and various issues from developing. Additionally, you’ll surely revel in how clean your teeth look after your routine cleanings. Our incredibly experienced dental professionals will help you to be comfortable and explain the treatment program step-by-step. Our staff can't wait to see you at Made Ya Smile Sugar Land, TX.